I've been getting my mom's discount at Field's, now Macy's, for an entire lifetime. Each time we go there is some sort of clothing mission: the publishing job suit, first-date top, teacher clothes. Today it was comfortable pj's that are not completely unflattering. I explained that there is no longer any professional reason for me to leave my house. So, I got these pj's and tried them on at home. I hunted down some photos of my parents '72 Beetle to show my boyfriend. I showed them to mom, in the new pj outfit, and said I should have "born to score" silkscreened across the front. THIS is the current identity that was not the case at 15. At least it's different. Oh! and I bought beer today. There is growth.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Half a Lifetime
It occurred to me, while running through Garner Park listening to my ipod, that I have been doing this since I was 15. "This" meaning running that route. Sure, there are a few more paved paths, but I did that run on my fifteenth birthday thinking about the evening's plans. Today I also ran past the iron bridge in the trees where I interrupted my high school boyfriend mid-sentence and kissed him, because I couldn't wait any longer. I must have run in college, but making plans with friends night after night seems more likely. I ran every day one Christmas vacation when I was a "real runner." Those five miles went so quickly. Today was brief and fairly sluggish. One change is the music. I suppose listening to "The Funeral" gives me some kind of maturity though it doesn't feel like enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment